3 Haziran 2014 Salı

Entry 11: Final Teaching



                                                                                                                           
May 29th, 2014

Unlike my first two teachings, I was really nervous this time. Maybe, it is because it was literally my final teaching as a student. The idea that this is my last chance to cover up the teaching skills which are problematic for me was very discouraging. I won’t have another chance to practice my teaching skills. I mean, of course, I will continue to develop myself as a teacher when I am pursuing my career. When I become a teacher, I should be perfect and this was the time when I learned how to do to that. When I have my own class, it will be a good thing because we will have our own class culture and everything will be settled then; but I know that when I make a mistake in the beginning there is no turning back. At least, I feel that way. 




 When I move to the lesson, I can say that I wasn’t completely happy about it. It was a writing lesson (postcards) and there was a reading activity in the pre-part. Students were supposed to read the postcards and answer the questions in the chart below. It was a total chaos for me. They didn’t understand the instructions. I have always had that problem. I would forget the instructions part and distribute the handouts and they wouldn’t listen to me. Yet, I made sure of it this time. I believed that I calmly explained what they are supposed to do while showing the postcards and charts. Then, I arranged the groups and started to distribute the papers. Some students insisted that they want to be with their friends in the group but I didn’t let them. While I was distributing the papers, some students were asking their friends what they were supposed to do. After I explained it one more time, they began reading. However, some students were standing and having conversation. No matter how I tried to make them sit and read the postcards, they weren’t listening to me. I was going to each group and following their work. They were so slow. Since there was only one chart and they couldn’t write quickly, that made them slow down. I need to hurry because that was only the pre part. I told them to go back to their seat because this activity is over and we are going to answer the questions. There was another problem waiting for me. Their groups split and they couldn’t read each other’s writing, even their own writing. We lost so much time with that. This was the worst teaching that I have ever experienced. After this part is over, things got nicer. I explained the instructions and I asked them “Is it clear” a couple of times to make sure of it. I showed the fictional places where they pretend to be writing from. That was the moment I caught their attention, I guess. They were excited and enthusiastic about the lesson, which flared my enthusiasm to teach. I told them they can ask me if they don’t know a word, which was a huge mistake. I wrote each and every word on the board thinking that I was helping them, but I wasn’t. Actually, I knew that I should lead them to use dictionaries and find the words they need on their own. Yet, our mentor teacher does it all the time. Once, she warned us about how we should use the board. When students ask some words, she would tell them and write them on the board randomly. And she said “don’t write like me, be organized.” She said nothing about the vocabulary part. Then, I thought it was okay to answer students’ questions. When I was in Ankara Gönüllü Takımı ( a voluntary action to help the poor kids with their lessons) when my students ask me each and every word in his course book, I wouldn’t tell them directly. I would tell him to look up in the dictionary or make use of the words which he already knew. By making connections…. And I knew this when I was a sophomore. Sometimes, we learn good things from our mentor and sometimes we don’t. I cannot completely blame her but the fact that she was the one who says I can fail a class observation in a job interview with this attitude has really shaken me. 

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder