24 Nisan 2014 Perşembe

Entry 5: Simple Past Tense Activities


April 3rd, 2014

This week, students did some exercises about simple past tense. They have been studying it for the past few weeks. They need to do more exercises about the topic. Our mentor teacher took a lot of time for various activities just to make sure that students internalize the topics. There were 3-5 kinds of activities which are linked to each other. It was a good idea because they can make connections and learn easily. In the exercises, they need to fill in the blanks with past form of verbs. In the second activity, they were supposed to answer wh- questions forms of simple past tense with long answers. Third activity was about negative forms. About giving long answers, I think it is boring and unnecessary because it is not natural. Since all the activities are mechanic, I didn’t quite like the idea of teaching English in this way. Considering they are young learners and they need input as much as possible, I think that’s why they use these forms. When I was a student, I also have been through the same process. However, in secondary school, the activities are much more communicative. Since they standardized the lesson plans in METU College and these kinds of activities are applied to all of the classes, I think they included such mechanic activities on purpose because the students need to learn standard use of English first. After primary school, they won’t force students to use long forms, I hope. Also, they did info gap activity and they put the sentences into correct order to make a story. It was two-hour class and they finished all the activities in such a short time. It can because of the class size, but most importantly, it is because the students are motivated all the time. By the way, in the third activity, our mentor asked us whether we would like to continue the class. I got on the stage first and introduced myself. She said to the student that they can ask questions to me if they want. The first thing they asked was my age. I think it is quite common for students to ask such questions. The way they think is really innocent and lovely. When they were giving answers, I type them on the computer so that everyone can see. İdil said "Finally, there is someone who can type faster than you do." This made me laugh because they looked so surprised. In the other class, we also conducted some of the activities and it was really good to interact with them since we will do our first teaching next week. We always sit at the back of classroom and we don't usually see their faces. Neither do they. They were curious about us. Sometimes, we catch them look at us without being noticed; but, we notice because that's what we do; to observe.

Another point is that I still learn new things from my mentor teacher. I sometimes realize I have never thought about that specific word whether I use it correctly or not. For example, one of students said “My answer is true.” and she said “It is correct. We don’t use true in such situations…” Then, it struck me and I asked myself “Did I know this before?” This happens a lot to me when I am observing the class, which is very good for me. 

Finally, there are some extrovert students in the class, namely Mehmet, Lara and Elif.  They don’t participate much and it takes so much time for them to complete the assigned tasks. At the first weeks of my school-visits, our mentor teacher didn’t force them to speak. She kinda ignored their lack of participation. It bothered me a lot because our duty is to motivate them and engaging them into class. This week, she addressed them by their names and said "You didn’t say anything today." This also bothered me. I don’t know a way to incorporate them into class but neither ignoring them nor addressing them overtly is a good idea. Maybe, our mentor is also confused and she was trying different solutions, I don’t know for sure.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder